-These mushrooms were found in Norvan Falls, in North Vancouver/Lynn Valley, B.C. and this picture was taken and shared from the courtesy of another wonderful student! It was growing on the side, in the middle, of a dead, “ripped”, barky, tree trunk, half of a remnant tree in the forest.

-The top colour of this mushroom (top of cap) was a faint yellow white. The bottom colour was very much the same but with a little more white than yellow. It looked very smooth at the top/stem. The cap shape seemed more pulvinate than convex and the cap margin was entire/even/regular. It has a smooth cap surface and when I zoomed in to see if I could note any partial veil features, in some of the mushrooms I believe I can see a peronate. The attachment of gills, when zoomed in, seem to look free/remote/close from the stem, and the breadth of the gills, when zoomed in, seem to be narrow. The thickness of the gills seems to be average with subdistant spacing. The edges of the gills, when zoomed in, seem to be even entire in most but with serrate and eroded in a few. Lastly, for the stem features, the location is central, the shape is flexuous (thought it could be terete but in all they seem to be bending indicating flexibility), I could not notice the bulbs/vulva from the picture because the mushrooms go into the trees, so it’s hiding, and the surface I couldn’t tell as well because it was hidden but if I had to guess maybe longitudinally striate or peronate.

-After looking at the Flora and Fauna reference I believe these mushrooms can either be Sulphur Tuft-Hypholoma Fasciculare or Smoky Gilled Woodlover-Hypholoma Capnoides. I believe it may be the Smoky Gilled Woodlover because the Sulphur Tuft cap shapes seem more bell-shaped than the Smoky Gilled Woodlover. However, I am unsure but I do believe it is of the Hypholoma genus.

Image Alt Text: