Firstly, I’m sorry that I took this photo terribly so I’ll begin by saying what is where. The parsley on the PDA plate is on the top, while the parsley on the CMA plate is on the left. The 2 year old dead tomato stem is at the bottom in the PDA plate and on the right on the CMA plate.

The most noticeable difference between the two plates is that the PDA plate grew this carpet of white fluffy fungus everywhere. It’s very evident that this stunted the growth of the other fungus on that plate.

To say which is the better media in this case, I would argue that it is the CMA plate as we can see the growth of the different types of fungi and it is not completely overgrown. In a previous post I argued that PDA is better because of its faster growth and relative isolation, but in this plate even a few days before I took this photo, the white fungus overtook the plate quickly, so maybe CMA is a better media if you’re trying to experiment on a fungi that is not the white fluffy one to prevent it from contaminating and ruining the plate.

Image Alt Text: