1. This mushroom was acquired from the Dining Hall at SFU. As the weather became colder, I found some difficulties finding mushrooms outside. This type of mushroom is typically grown on logs.

2. The mushroom had a convex cap shape, the margin of the cap was even, the cap surface is smooth, the partial veil appears to be stellate (“cogwheel”), the features of the gills seem adnate and rather tucked into the fruiting body of the mushroom, the breadth of the gills seem narrow, spacing of the gills seem close, the edges of the gills appear even. Before the pictures were taken, I removed the stem to observe the gills. Prior to this, I made the following assessments about the stem: the stem is located in the center of the fruiting body, the stem structure is even, there is no apparent bulb formation, the surface of the stem is peronate.

3. I believe this mushroom is an Agaricus, as it is an edible mushroom that accounts for most mushrooms that are sold commercially. This mushroom is also known as a “white button” mushroom.

Image Alt Text: